Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Taco Time


Today, I hit my four-week mark and "graduated" to adding veggies. I've lost 39 pounds total since I started this adventure and 22 since my gastric sleeve surgery Dec. 27.

I celebrated by making a recipe I've been dying to try: Fish Tacos in a Lettuce Wrap vs. a flour tortilla, with the Best Slaw Ever and Chipotle Dipping Sauce

I adapted the recipe from the "Paleo Comfort Foods" cookbook by Julie and Charles Mayfield.

I made the sauce, marinade and slaw in 10 minute or so segments whenever I had small breaks today. Then when I got home at about 8 p.m., all I had to do was pan sauté the fish and assemble. It was worth it.

Fish Tacos
1 T. olive oil
1 t. ancho chili powder
Juice of one lime
1 t. ground cumin
1 jalapeno pepper, minced (optional) (I chose not to use it.)
1-2 pounds wild-caught fish of your choice -- mahi mahi, grouper, red snapper, cod, etc., cut into no bigger than 4-inch pieces (I used my buttery Hawaiian monchong purchased yesterday at Avalon Seafoods in Oklahoma City.)
1 T. avocado or coconut oil (I used olive oil.)
Bibb or romaine lettuce for the wraps

Combine olive oil, ancho chili powder, lime juice, cumin and jalapeño in a large bowl. Toss the fish in the marinade and let sit for 15 minutes. (I put it in a Ziplock gallon bag and refrigerated while I ran a business errand .)

Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add avocado or coconut (or olive) oil.

Add the fish, cooking for about five minutes or until flaky, flipping in the middle.

Break the fish into smaller, bite-sized pieces and serve with the Tastiest Slaw Ever (below), cilantro, tomatoes and Chipotle Dipping Sauce (below).

Chipotle Dipping Sauce
1/2 c. light mayonnaise (adapted from Paleo Mayonnaise in cookbook)
1/2 c. cilantro
1 clove garlic, smashed
2 T. olive oil (I left this out)
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
Juice of one lime

Combine all ingredients in a mini-blender or food processor until mixed. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

Tastiest Slaw Ever
2 t. red wine vinegar
1 T. olive oil
Juice of two limes
1/2 t. garlic, minced (I grated this.)
1/8 t. black pepper
2 c. red cabbage, thinly sliced
2 c. romaine lettuce, chopped
1 mango, peeled, pitted and chopped (I didn't use.)
1 c. cucumbers, peeled, seeded and cut into strips (I didn't peel.)
Several small carrots grated (I added ... not in original recipe, but added for color.)

Combine vinegar, olive oil, lime juice, garlic and black pepper in a small bowl.
In large bowl, mix all other ingredients.
Mix well and pour liquid over the slaw, tossing to mix.
Cover and chill for at least one hour.

This would be great to serve family style and let everybody make their own "tacos." It was great fun, accomplished the taste delight I desired and lit up my mouth as well. (And no adverse reactions to the spices at this time. Hooray!)

Onward,
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment