Saturday, January 21, 2012

How to Do Dinner in Week Three

I cooked dinner tonight for several members of my family, and it was amazing if I say so myself.

The strategy was if I make it, I can eat it, and it's going to be good. Heck, I didn't get this body by being a bad cook.

I saw a recipe by Food Network's Anne Burrell in the Feast of Seven Fishes feature in the FN magazine last month, which featured a gorgeous red snapper over thinly sliced potatoes, kalamata olives, lots of garlic, tossed with olive oil and oregano and cooked with white wine. Simple recipe.

When I went to our city's lone fish counter, the only whole fish they had was trout and it was far smaller than the recipe called for. Got a couple of them anyway and per Anne's recipe stuffed them with thinly sliced lemons, fresh oregano and parsley and they cooked on top of the thinly sliced fingerling gold potatoes for 35 minutes.

Also made a fennel au gratin, which I took a tiny bite of but for the most part couldn't eat -- it got rave reviews. Love the way fennel goes with fish.

My daughter made a fabulous salad complete with edible flowers (pansies) to decorate and her homemade vinaigrette. Also couldn't eat it, but it sure looked good.

Only tough part was having my 87-year-old mother at dinner, who has some dementia. I haven't told her about my weight loss surgery, because I don't think she'd understand it and it might scare her. I've told her I'm dieting and avoiding bread, rice, pasta, etc., and she seems happy with that.

My daughter told me tonight she noticed I had some curves on the back side I hadn't had for awhile. Nice.

Onward!
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment